Friday, February 11, 2011

The Polished Hoe by Austin Clarke

Stunning! This is the word that comes to mind whenever I think of this novel, The Polished Hoe. Even more pleasing was the laugh that came to me at the end when my understanding of the title blossomed.

I am not sure I've ever read a book written by a man who managed so well to capture the grit of a woman as she repelled the degradation of racism. What astonished me was that he did not follow the taken for granted path that this disease normally takes in novels. Instead, he revealed the diseased minds and actions of those who practiced racism and benefited from it. Unapologetically, he exposed the mental illness routed in perpetrators of the disease.

I found myself applauding. And, this time, I applauded without the guilt that comes with a taste for blood.

Using the voice of this remarkable character, Mary-Mathilda, Austin Clarke takes his words and slashes at any semblance of a benevolent racism. At the same time, he highlights the strength of women that is often ignored.

Immediately, as you enter the novel you are made aware that something unexpected and welcomed has happened and that the something that is hinted at is a natural response to the circumstances. Any other response would have meant psychological death.

If I could, I would make this book required reading for all. Austin Clarke's work is genius. The Polished Hoe is a keeper and it is a novel that I will read again and again.

by Bacchus

No comments:

Post a Comment